Wednesday 3 July 2013

In defense of politicians

Right.  Here goes.

I think we've all been much too hard on politicians.

There, I've said it. 

I'll say it again.  I think we've all been much too hard on politicians.

Like the rest of us, politicians are flawed human beings. 
  • A few politicians are unreasonably extreme in their views.  (A bit like the rest of us, really.)  And we've seen many examples of this lately.
  • A few politicians get unreasonably aggressive with each other.  (A bit like the way some non-politicians behave in their workplaces.)  And we've seen many examples of this lately.
  • A few politicians become corrupt in the course of their political careers (but not very many, really.)

In my experience, I've met many politicians, at a variety of levels, from a variety of perspectives, in a number of different nations. 
  • Some have views and policies with which I agree, and values which I sometimes find inspiring.
  • Some have views and policies with which I disagree, and values which I sometimes find frightening.
But the politicians I have had the privilege to know have this in common:  they are decent, honest, intelligent, generous people with a work ethic that is exceeded only by their ethic of service to the wider community.

Politician-bashing is a popular activity in Australia as it is in other western countries.  For those who enjoy politician-bashing, may I pose this question?

Which would you prefer?  To be governed by a group of politicians over whom you have the occasional power of choice (through regular, orderly elections)?   Or to be ruled over by a cabal of generals over whom you have no choice?

As for me, I'd choose the politicians over the generals any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments, from a diversity of viewpoints, are always welcome. I reserve the right to choose which comments will be printed. I'm happy to post opinions differing from mine. Courtesy, an ecumenical attitude, and a willingness to give your name always help. A sense of humour is a definite "plus", as well.