Monday 25 March 2013

What's wrong with being "Politically Correct" anyway?

Back in the 1980s or 1990s, some smart-aleck ... let's not mince words ... some smart-arse ultra-conservative intellectual wannabees coined the phrase "politically correct".

Ever since then, anyone with an interest in social justice has needed to watch our language.  If we give too much of an impression that we respect all people a bit "too" equally, we're labelled with the term "politically correct".

I don't care.

I happen to have been born "white", male, Christian, Gentile, "Protestant", Anglo, and hetero.  I'm cool with that; it's who I am.  However, according to some smart-arse ultra-conservative intellectual wannabees, this entitles me to a greater deal of respect than someone who can't tick all of these boxes.

I don't believe that I am entitled to any extra respect than anyone else merely because I happened to have been born "white" ... or male ... or Christian ... or Gentile ... or "Protestant" ... or Anglo ... or hetero.

According to some smart-arse ultra-conservative intellectual wannabees, this belief makes me "politically correct".

I don't really care.  I'd rather be politically correct than arrogant.

In fact, I'll raise the stakes here. ... I'd rather be politically correct than pig-ignorant.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,

    I am very proud of my political correctness. It sure beats being a racist, chauvinist, patriarchal Fundamentalist. Sticking labels on others can go in every direction.

    Tony Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to the alternatives, political correctness rocks!

      Delete

Constructive comments, from a diversity of viewpoints, are always welcome. I reserve the right to choose which comments will be printed. I'm happy to post opinions differing from mine. Courtesy, an ecumenical attitude, and a willingness to give your name always help. A sense of humour is a definite "plus", as well.